You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise: you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely…For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made…Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:1-3,13,16

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fireman Dad by Betsy St. Amant

I was fortunate enough to have the chance to read an advance copy of a book by a Christian writer that I happen to know from childhood…It was AWESOME! I can't believe I know this girl--she's fabulous. I  really enjoy reading Christian books and one of my favorite authors is Karen Kingsbury. I happen to think that Betsy St. Amant is every bit as good of a writer and able to paint an incredible story with her words.  I can't wait to read more of her work! Here is my review/summary that I posted on Barnes and Noble's website.  I hope you get a chance to read it too.
Betsy St. Amant paints the story of love-hungry, conflicted, and hurting Marissa Hawthorne. Marissa is a mother of a young son, widow of a fire-fighting husband, and daughter of the Fire Chief.  She has plenty of experience with the difficulties and hardship involved in a life revolving around fighting fires and she has promised herself that she will not allow her young son to experience any more of that type of pain. Unfortunately for Marissa, her plan becomes more difficult when handsome Jacob Greene offers to help change her flat tire.  When Marissa discovers that Jacob is a fire-fighter, she gives him the cold shoulder. Jacob doesn't want to take no for an answer, until he finds out that Marissa's father is his boss, and the last guy who talked about her in the firehouse got transferred out of state.  The attraction they feel toward each other is undeniable, but will Jacob risk it all to try and win Marissa's affection?  Will Marissa allow Jacob to get close to her with her young, impressionable son in the mix? The writing makes you feel the conflict of each character, and the desperation of wanting the love story to have a happy ending. I appreciated a story of love that didn't have any raunchy love scenes, but instead showed characters with good values and learning lessons about the definition of real love. I read this book in two days, couldn't put it down.  I look forward to reading more by St. Amant and would recommend this book, as well as her others, to adults and teens without fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment